Portabella Mushroom BurgerFrom borius 7 years ago
- INGREDIENTS: shopping list
- onion roll hamburger buns, or try making your own buns from the recipe posted on Chefjeb page. You can find him in my friends list. shopping list
- mayonnaise shopping list
- portabella mushrooms, a bit larger than the buns since they will shrink, cleaned and stems removed shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- balsamic vinegar shopping list
- Walla Walla or Vidalia sweet onions, sliced shopping list
- avocado, sliced shopping list
- tomato, sliced shopping list
- red bell pepper, sliced into ½” wide strips shopping list
- provolone cheese, sliced thin (this cheese is soft, if you can have it sliced at the store, do so) shopping list
- spinach leaf, stems removed shopping list
- Recommended substitutions: Keiser rolls, sourdough bread, Fresh French bread, focaccia bread, red onions, yellow onions, white onions, Tillamook Vintage Extra Sharp White Cheddar (http://tillamookcheese.com/), feta cheese, goat cheese, Grilled Onions, The Kitchen Sink. C’mon people, it’s a burger, experiment, go for it! If you love cheese and haven’t tired the Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp you are surely missing out! I highly recommend this cheese form the Oregon Coast. shopping list
How to make it
- Drizzle the mushroom gills with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, guess about 1 tsp or so to taste
- If broiling, broil them directly on oven grates in the middle of your oven or lower, not too close to the heat, with aluminum foil on another shelf underneath to catch drippings, medium heat, gills up, until edges start getting soft, about 3-5 minutes depending on heat. Flip and continue on other side 2-3 minutes, softening the mushroom but not making it limp. Adjust time to match heat and mushroom size.
- If grilling, grill them directly over low to medium heat, gills up, until edges start getting soft, about 3-5 minutes depending on heat. Flip and continue on other side 2-3 minutes, softening the mushroom but not making it limp. Adjust time to match heat and mushroom size.
- Top the mushrooms with cheese the last 30 seconds to 1minute of cooking depending heat, just enough to melt but not brown
- While cooking the mushrooms, prepare buns/bread by coating the inside with the mayo and lightly browning the mayo side in a nonstick pan or on a griddle like you would a grilled cheese sandwich, timing them to finish with the mushroom for warm buns.
- Assemble like you would any other burger, topping with the listed ingredients and serve immediately.
- Stand back and be amazed.