Cream of Potato soup with Bacon and CheeseFrom g286unn 9 years ago
- 4 lbs potatoes diced shopping list
- 1.5 lbs onion diced shopping list
- 1.5 lbs celery diced shopping list
- 1.5 lbs carrot grated shopping list
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 3qts chicken stock shopping list
- 6 slices bacon chopped shopping list
- 2 sticks butter shopping list
- 8oz flour shopping list
- 1 pt half and half shopping list
- 8 oz cheddar cheese grated shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 tbsp dry parsley flakes shopping list
- cayenne pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the bacon slowly until crispy in a 12 qt stock pot
- Leave in the drippings and the fat and add both sticks of butter. Allow them to melt and foam up a little, stirring every now and then.
- Add in the flour and stir to form a roux. If it is a little thin, add more flower until you get a "wet sand" consistency. Cook for a minute or two stirring constantly.
- Add chopped/shredded vegetables and garlic and cook for a minute or two. At this point, put in some salt and pepper
- Slowly add in the chicken stock while stirring, and then slowly bring it up to a boil.
- When boiling, add the potatoes and cook until they are done. If at this point the soup is too thick, add a little more stock until it is thinned out some.
- Taste and re season, and add some cayenne and the parsley flakes.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheddar cheese. When it is incorporated, add some half and half (anywhere from 4 to 8oz).
The Cookg286unn Atlantic City, NJ
The Rating4 people
Nice I love soups like this. Bacon, cheese, potatoes, cream, 2 sticks of butter? you can't go wrong! Delicious - but not very dietetic!
Now - after making ... I used the bacon fat to make the roux with about 4 TB of flour, and will use 2% ...moregracelandali in Chicago loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!