Rolled Honey and Lemon Three Nut BaklavaFrom grizzlybear 9 years ago
- Syrup: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups honey shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 2 lemons shopping list
- Filling and Dough: shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed shelled pecans, cashews, and pistachios shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups unsalted butter (3 1/2 sticks) shopping list
How to make it
- 18 sheets phyllo dough (about 1 pound), thawed
- To make the syrup: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the honey, water, sugar, and cinnamon stick. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest of the lemons in large pieces and add to the syrup mixture. Squeeze the lemons, discard the seeds, and add the juice to the syrup.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 35 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Remove and discard the cinnamon and lemon zest.
- To make the filling: In a food processor, combine the nuts, cinnamon, allspice, and salt; pulse until finely chopped (don't over chop!). Transfer the nut mixture to a bowl and set aside. In a medium saucepan, completely melt the butter over medium heat. Set aside for 5 minutes, then skim the white foam from the surface of the butter and discard. Pour the clear butter into a small bowl, stopping before the watery liquid on the bottom pours in. Discard the watery butter in the bottom of the pan. Stir 1/2 cup of the syrup into the nut mixture. Set the remaining syrup aside.
- To assemble the baklava: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in a 10 by 14-inch baking dish. (The edges of the parchment should come half way up the sides of the dish.)
- Unroll the phyllo onto the work surface, and place the stack off to 1 side. Lift 1 sheet and lay it on the workspace, lengthwise, and parallel to the edge of the counter. Brush the sheet with some of the butter. Lay another sheet on top, and brush with butter; repeat with 1 more sheet. Mound 1/6 of the nut mixture, lengthwise, about 1-inch from the bottom edge and ends. Roll the bottom edge of phyllo over the nut mixture, fold in the sides to seal the log, and continue rolling until completely closed. Place the phyllo roll seam side-down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 6 rolls in all, arranging them in snug rows.
- Brush the top of the rolls lightly with water. Using a paring knife, lightly score the rolls, crosswise, at 3-inch intervals. Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Rewarm the syrup over medium heat. Cut through the scored lines of the pastry and pour the syrup over the warm pastry. Set aside to cool for 1 hour.
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating4 people
I am going to have to give this top rating - since this is a recipe that my arabic friends gave to me - this is awesome thanks for the post!ravenseyes in Belcamp loved it
I adore rolled baklava. Saw it on Martha's show one time and I've been trying to find the recipe ever since. This is wonderful, impressive and most delicious. The lemon just cuts the heavy sweetness and keeps it from being cloying. YUM.notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Thank you, Grizz! This is a great recipe! I love making baklava often and have yet to try a rolled form of the treat. Thanks to you, I can now make this for myself!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!