Zucchini and Sausage CasseroleFrom nlo209 9 years ago
- 2 lbs. zucchini or yellow squash, coarsely grated shopping list
- 3/4 lb. italian sausage (casings removed) shopping list
- 3/4 lb. hot italian sausage (casings removed) shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs shopping list
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 2 to 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 2 cups chopped pecans shopping list
- salt, freshly ground pepper shopping list
- hot sauce shopping list
- TOPPING: shopping list
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted shopping list
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a wide, 2 quart baking dish, or spray it with nonstick spray.
- Put the zucchini in a colander to drain for about 30 minutes, or wrap it in a clean tea towel and gently squeeze it to remove the excess liquid. Put the zucchini in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat a large skillet and add both the sausages. Cook until the sausage starts to brown, stirring to break it up. Pour off all but about 3 tbsp. grease. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Combine the sausage and onions with the zucchini.
- Stir in the cream, the 1 cup bread crumbs, the eggs, the 2 to 3 cups cheese, and 2 cups pecans. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Pour the mixture into the baking dish. The casserole may be refrigerated at this point for up to 2 days.
- For the topping, combine the butter, the 3/4 cup bread crumbs, and the 3/4 cup pecans. Sprinkle evenly over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, until hot throughout about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the 1/2 cup cheese and return to the oven just until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.