Roasted Red Pepper And Tomato SoupFrom ravenseyes 7 years ago
- 6 red peppers (large approximately 1 1/2 - 2 lbs) shopping list
- 3 lbs tomatoes (plum is prefferable) shopping list
- 8 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 3 tbsps garlic (more or less for your taste) shopping list
- 1 tsp sun-dried tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tsp basil (dried) shopping list
- 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- 1/2 cup onion (shallots or red onion finely chopped) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste or omit) shopping list
- 1 cup cream (optional) shopping list
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to your taste) shopping list
- 1 tsp pepper (fresh ground adjust to taste) shopping list
How to make it
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line 1 cookie sheet with tin foil - wash and cut tomatoes in half, arrange cut side down on cookie sheet, drizzle generously with good extra virgin olive oil, course, kosher or sea salt and a touch of ground pepper - bake until tomato peels have split and developed a nice carmalized texture. Approximately 45 - 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool, remove tomato skins.
- While the tomatoes are carmalizing in the oven take your red peppers and blacken them over an open gas flame or in the case you do not have gas this can also be accomplished over an electric element simply by allowing the pepper contact with the heating coil till it blackens, or you could also do this on a gas grill. Place blackened peppers in a brown paper bag and allow to cool - I always make sure I have a plastic bag on the outside as the juices from the peppers will soak through as they cool. Once cooled remove skins, tops, ribs and seeds. Do not wash.
- In a large soup pot add 1 tbsps olive oil add onions, garlic and saute till onions appear clear. Add chicken stock, white wine, tomato paste, basil, tomatoes and peppers. Allow to cook for approximately 30 minutes. If you have a hand held blender, puree until a creamy texture is accomplished, or you can do this in a blender a few cups at a time being very careful not to over crowd the blender as the top will pop off with the heat. Return the pureed mixture back to the pot add pepper flakes and reduce over medium heat for 10 minutes - if desired add cream and serve!!!