Cauliflower In A Cheese PuffFrom pat2me 6 years ago
How to make it
- Wash and trim cauliflower and break into flowerets.
- Steam flowerets until crisp tender
- Place in a buttered or sprayed shallow baking dish, reserving a few flowerets for garnish
- In a double boiler or with your pan in boiling water, make the white sauce and add the cheese
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and salt and pepper to taste; add to white sauce
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into sauce
- Pour sauce over cauliflower and bake in 350 oven for 20 minutes or until sauce is firm
- Remove from oven and garnish with reserved flowerets
- 4 to 6 servings
- White Sauce
- 2 Tbl butter
- 2 Tbl all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1. In a small saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly . Cook and stir 1 minute more. Makes 1-1/2 cups sauce.
- Cheese Sauce: Prepare as above, except omit salt. Over low heat, stir 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss, American, or Gruyere cheese or 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or 3/4 cup grated Parmesan nto the cooked sauce until melted. Serve with vegetables. Makes about 2 cups sauce.
- Curry Sauce: Prepare as above, except cook 1 teaspoon curry powder in the melted butter or margarine for 1 minute before adding the flour. Stir 2 tablespoons chopped chutney into the cooked sauce. Serve with fish or poultry.
- Herb-Garlic Sauce: Prepare as above, except cook 2 garlic cloves, minced, in the melted butter or margarine for 30 seconds Stir in 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed or celery seed, or driedbasil, oregano or sage, crushed, with the flour. Serve with vegetables or poultry
- Lemon-Chive Sauce: Prepare as above, except stir in 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel with the flour. Serve with vegetables, poultry, or fish.
The Cookpat2me Nashua, NH
- Not added to any groups yet!