Little Thin Cornmeal PancakesFrom notyourmomma 6 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups of water shopping list
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 2 tablespoos of bacon drippings (preferred) or unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of sugar shopping list
- 1 large egg well beaten shopping list
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon of salt shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder shopping list
- 3/4 cup of milk shopping list
- creme fraiche or 1/2 cup of sour cream mixed with 1 tbsp of heavy whipping cream shopping list
- Domestic caviar shopping list
- lemon rind shreds shopping list
How to make it
- Bring the water to a rolling boil in a large saucepan.
- Slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly.
- continue to stir until thickened about five minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the bacon drippings, the sugar and the egg.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Ina medium bowl, sift the flour, salt and the baking powder.
- Stir the mixture into the cornmeal in two parts, alternating with enough milk to make a batter the consistency of corn syrup. It may take more than the 3/4 cup of milk.
- Ladle 1/4 cup of the batter on a hot buttered griddle for each pancake.
- they will be very thin.
- Cook for two minutes until bubbles form.
- Flip and cook until lightly browned on other side.
- Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream, caviar, chopped chives and/or grated lemon rind.
- Southern blini and it deserves either champagne or ice cold pepper vodka as a chaser.