Patty MeltFrom debra47 10 years ago
How to make it
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Lay rye bread flat on waxed paper on a baking sheet.
- Butter each slice of bread on the top side, dividing one tablespoon of the remaining butter among the 8 slices.
- Use less butter if wanting to cut down on calories.
- Flip them over and butter the other sides of the 8 slices, dividing the one tablespoon of butter among them.
- Reheat the skillet that cooked the onions.
- Toast bread on both sides in the skillet, until the bread is light gold, about 1 minute per side.
- Set the bread aside.
- Divide beef into 4 evenly sized pieces.
- Shape each into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
- Season both sides of the patties with salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare .
- Remove from skillet and assemble sandwiches.
- Lay out 4 slices of the toasted bread.
- Top each with 1/4 of the onion mixture, then a slice of cheese, a beef patty, and a second slice of cheese.
- Top with the remaining 4 toast slices.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in pan.
- Toast sandwiches on both sides, about 1 minute per side, until cheese is melted and toast is a golden color.
- Serve immediately.
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cookdebra47 Fylde, GB
The Rating7 people
OMG I love these.. Good post!linebb956 in La Feria loved it
MmmmMMm... Patty Melt... My fave!!!st4rryey3d in Scranton loved it
Yeah great recipe love it thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!