Fresh or frozen Pea SoupFrom borinda 7 years ago
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 cup sliced white or yellow onion shopping list
- 3 cups of shredded lettuce (I use 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, entirely. We like the texture and its sweetness instead of using sugar) shopping list
- 3 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 3 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- 1 small bag of frozen peas OR 2 cups fresh peas shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Saute the carrots and onions in the butter until tender, not browned, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the lettuce and braise this for about 5 minutes, do not use a high heat.
- Add the liquids and 1 -2 tsp. salt. (You will find the stock you've used will affect how much seasoning you need at the end to correct the flavor.) Bring this to a boil and then simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and cook until they are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Puree with an immersable blender or in batches in a conventional blender.
- If you prefer a thinner variation you can add a bit more stock.
- Correct flavor with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or chilled.
The Cookborinda SoCal, CA
The Rating3 people
This was wonderful!! I've literally just made it so quick and so simple and what a brilliant way to use up lettuce! Thank-you!maryannao in London loved it
it's very english to cook lettuce with peas...
i see this a lot when i am browsing some british sites...
i've never tried it myself but my curiosity has been piqued now...
seems quite healthy, easy and budget friendly- whic...moresoftgrey in New York loved it
I will try this my friend! ^5mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!