Irish Common Brown BreadFrom coffeebean53 6 years ago
- One (2-pound) Loaf shopping list
- 2 cups (16 ounces) water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) molasses or black treacle shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups (14 3/4 ounces) 100% white whole wheat flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup (3 5/8 ounces) Unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast shopping list
How to make it
- Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Program the machine for Dough or Manual, and press Start. Check the dough's consistency about 7 minutes after the kneading cycle begins, adding additional water or flour to form a sticky dough. Allow the machine to complete its cycle. Remove the dough.
- Turn the sticky dough into a buttered 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let it rise for 20 to 30 minutes, until it reaches the top of the pan.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 450°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 425°F and bake for an additional 35 minutes; the interior temperature of the finished loaf as measured on an instant-read thermometer should be about 190°F. Turn the bread out of the pan, and cool it on a rack before slicing. Yield: 1 loaf