couscous with cashews and raisinsFrom mbe 9 years ago
- 2 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 generous cup raw shelled cashews shopping list
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- ½ large onion finely diced shopping list
- 2 generous pinches whole cumin seed shopping list
- 350 ml dried couscous shopping list
- 375 ml water shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 1 cup raisins shopping list
- 1 cup parsley, finely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the butter on low in a saucepan large enough to hold the couscous and water
- add the cashews and cook, stirring occasionally until nicely browned.
- Your butter may turn brown while doing this, don’t worry as long as it doesn’t turn horribly black.
- When the nuts are browned, remove from them from the pan, leaving the butter.
- Add the olive oil, onions, and cumin and continue cooking on low heat until the onions are browning around the edges, about 10 minutes or so. (Eat a handful of cashews or so while you cook the onions.)
- Add the couscous and stir.
- Add the water, raisins, and healthy pinch of salt, bring to a simmer.
- Cover and turn off. After 15 minutes use a fork to fluff the couscous, which should be cooked.
- Add the parsley and gently stir in.
- Check for salt, correct if needed and serve.
- Feel free to use almonds or pine nuts instead of the cashews and substitute another herb such as dill according to your taste. Also, the raisins make the dish somewhat sweet, chopped dried apricots are nice if you prefer a sour flavouring.
The Cookmbe Vancouver, CN
The Rating4 people
Does sound tasty. easy. :) Lots of ingredients that I like -- lots of textures & flavours too! Good one, a keeper! Thanks for posting it, Mbe :)kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
Even in Marroc , they don't make it better than this one.Great...ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
Fantastic recipe, right up my vegetarian alley. I am making this one soon, soon, soon. Many thanks.blondeberry in Charleston loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!