Never Cook This - Ballotine - French Stuffed ChickenFrom crainny 9 years ago
- 1 medium chicken, whole shopping list
- 16 oz chicken breast meat, boneless, skinless shopping list
- 1 large shallot shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove shopping list
- 1/2 fresh bread crumbs shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 tbsp milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp tarragon shopping list
- salt, pepper, sweat, blood and tears to taste shopping list
- - shopping list
- You will require baking parchment paper, kitchen string, trussing needle, and aluminum foil shopping list
How to make it
- Carefully cut the chicken through the back bone - all the way from neck to tail (on one side of it - it's easier, I've learned the hard way)
- Spread the chicken open (don't cut through the front)
- Carefully peel off the breast bones
- Remove the wishbone
- Remove the thigh bones
- Peel the flesh off the leg bones, and cut them out carefully
- Peel the flesh off the wing bones (to the first joint only) and remove the bones along with the rest of the wing - cut them away
- When chicken has absolutely no bones inside, you are done.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the chicken
- Prepare the stuffing:
- Mince or grind the meat in the processor
- Add milk to bread crumbs and let soak a little bit.
- Squeeze the crumbs out and add to meat
- Melt butter in a skillet and toss in chopped shallot and garlic
- Saute until soft and translucent, less than 5 minutes
- Add egg to the meat
- Add shallot and garlic to the meat
- Add herbs, salt and pepper
- Mix well
- Spread the stuffing inside the chicken.
- Close the sides of the chicken up, and stitch the entire opening neatly
- Rub some salt and pepper outside the chicken
- Wet the parchment and roll the chicken very tightly in it, forming a neat cylinder. Tie each end with the kitchen string.
- Roll the foil around the cylinder and close the ends
- Use about 1 yards of kitchen string - wrap it around the long side of the cylinder first and then give it a 2-3 more wraps around the short side - spreading them evenly, and tie the double knot to secure the string.
- Poach the ballotine in chicken stock gently for a calculated total of 20 minutes per pound of meat.
- Let the chicken cool wrapped.
- Slice it and serve - warm or cold
The Cookcrainny Prattville, AL
The Rating3 people
haha, you feel like you just had a baby, too funny, Trust me I know that feeling, well really and also when I clean Salmon Roe . That is a long process too, but like this well worth it. Great post.invisiblechef in loved it
I think I'm just masochistic enough to try this. I love the fresh herbs, and the presentation is beautiful.hollymayb in Baltimore loved it
I love your description! I would totally make this, if only I thought my husband would eat it! He would surely think this to be too 'weird', although I have to give him credit - he would try it to humor me. Sounds delicious, but for all the effort...morefizzle3nat in Waterville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!