The King of Kings Cheese SauceFrom divaliscious 7 years ago
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper (purists might prefer to use white pepper so it's tasted but not seen) shopping list
- 2 cups grated cheese (my faves? Use a mixture of two or more cheeses for a more authentic and complex cheese sauce - use cheeses such as cheddar, gouda, swiss and even goat cheese) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- Equipment needed: One working stove top, 1-1/2 quart sauce pan, whisk shopping list
How to make it
- With sauce pan on top of stove, put on medium-low heat and add butter, salt and pepper and melt butter slowly .
- Once butter is completely melted, add flour and whisk till well combined.
- Don't skip those sides, scrape with whisk any of the flour down from the sides of the sauce pan and cook for two minutes.
- Slowly add first 1/2 cup of the milk.
- Whisk till all bumps are removed and sauce gets a little thick but especially smooth.
- Add second 1/2 cup of milk, and do the same as above but bump up heat now to a medium heat.
- Next add remaining one cup of milk, stirring while making sure heat is now medium-high.
- Continue stirring - hey it's some form of exercise and stir till it bubbles, remembering to scrape the bottom of sauce pan since this is where it will get thick quickly.
- Bring heat back down to medium heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of cheese at a time, making sure all is melted prior to adding the next 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Continue adding remaining cheese in the same way until all is melted and oh so creamy and smooth.
- Add worcestershire sauce and taste-test - see if you would like to add more pepper or salt.
- Use as you would for any recipe calling for cheese sauce.
- Oh so cheesy and oh so good!