Monkey BreadFrom beebear 5 years ago
- 1 C 2% reduced fat milk shopping list
- 1 ½ cups plus 1/3-cup sugar shopping list
- ¾ cup plus 1/3-cup butter shopping list
- ½ tsp salt shopping list
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast shopping list
- ¼ cup warm water (105 to 115F) shopping list
- 3 eggs, well beaten shopping list
- 4 to 41/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 ¼ cups pecans, ground shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat milk in small saucepan. Add 1/3 cup sugar, butter & salt. Heat until butter melts & sugar dissolves, do not scald. Cool to lukewarm.
- 2. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and just a sprinkling of sugar, let stand 5 minutes until yeast mixture bubbles. Stir in beaten eggs and cooled milk mixture. Stir in 2 cups of the flour, beat until smooth. Add 2 cups additional flour; mix well if dough seems too wet add no more than the additional ½ cup of flour.
- 3. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
- 4. Punch down, cover and let rise again an additional 1½ hours.
- 5. Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar with cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- 6. Melt remaining ¾ cup butter.
- 7. Pinch off pieces of dough and roll into walnut size balls. Dip into melted butter then in sugar mixture, then in ground pecans.
- 8. Pile loosely in an un-greased bundt or tube pan.
- 9. Mix any remaining butter, sugar mixture and pecans add to the top.
- 10.Cover and let rise 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- 11.Bake 10 minutes, reduce heat to 325F and bake 25 minutes.
- 12. Remove from oven and invert immediately onto a large serving plate.
- 13. Serve hot. Do not cut; let guests pluck a serving.