Jhinka Masala Shrimp CurryFrom oldgringo 9 years ago
- 1 lb medium shrimp; peeled, tails on shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard seeds shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin seeds shopping list
- 4 minced garlic cloves shopping list
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger shopping list
- 2 dried red chiles shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoon oil, olive shopping list
- 1 cup diced onion shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups diced tomato meats shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
How to make it
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt and turmeric. Toss well to coat; cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Combine mustard, cumin, garlic, ginger, chiles and lemon juice in a blender and puree. Set aside.
- Saute onions in oil until soft, about 3 minutes. Add pureed spice mixture and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until soft. Add shrimp, stir gently to coat them evenly.
- Pour in the water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until shrimp are just opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Serve curry over rice.
- Note: This dish was popular with the Bengal Lancers Regimental Mess around the turn of the 20st century. (Dish called Jhinka Masala)