Old Fashioned Fantastic Lemon FillingFrom divaliscious 6 years ago
- 2/3 cups sugar (white) shopping list
- 7 tablespoons flour OR 3-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 egg OR 2 egg yolks slightly beaten shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter (must be butter kids) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (lemon rind - not the pith! (any of the white stuff just under the rind/skin) shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream whipped (optional for extra creaminess) shopping list
- ****Equipment Needed: shopping list
- Sauce pan with double-boiler bowl and tight filling lid, whisk, mix master to whip up heavy cream when it's that time is using the optional whipped cream. shopping list
- ****Notes: shopping list
- This one recipe is not the kind you walk away from while cooking, so set aside the short 15 minutes you will need and then enjoy your rewards of deliciously created creamy lemon filling. shopping list
- I would think this is obvious, but this is not to be used as a pie filling such as a lemon meringue pie, strictly for cakes people. shopping list
How to make it
- Set up your double-boiler
- Begin by placing water in pot and double boiler bowl on top - make sure the water from pot does not touch bottom of bowl. Turn on heat and let water come to a boil., Then turn heat to a medium, medium low so it simmers.
- Place sugar, flour (or cornstarch) and salt in double boiler and stir in water with whisk.
- Cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Once it is thickened, cover with lid and cook an additional ten minutes (and yes stir occasionally - say every three minutes)
- Temper your already slightly beaten egg with some of the hot mixture, then add this slowly back into the remaining hot mixture while stirring constantly.
- Cook over hot (and not boiling) water for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, taking double boiler bowl off and out of the pan that had the water.
- Add butter and zest of the lemon rind and stir till butter has melted.
- Chill, once completely cooled, then add the lemon juice and stir. Your filling can be used just as is... and is super delectable.
- Want to go all out? Whip up that heavy cream till stiff, then stir it in with your cooled fantastic lemon filling - and voila - extra extra creamy lemon filling ready to fill and use in your cakes, jelly rolls, etc.
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating7 people
You had me at lemon......but the orange sounds great too! Thanks for the great post!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Oh yeah...I love this stuff! My Mama and Grandma both used this in their coconut cakes with the 7-Minute Frosting, too. (One of my fave cakes ever - and was my Dad's absolute choice!) Great post and it reminds me that I would love to make that cak...morelunasea in Orlando loved it
I'm with pat2me, you had me at lemon, it is my very favorite for dessert and even savory foods. So yes, yes, this is a fantastic post, thank you for sharing.marriage in Apalachin loved it