Crustless Spinach PieFrom chihuahua 9 years ago
- 3 slices Sourdough sandwich bread, torn into pieces shopping list
- 1 large, onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed shopping list
- 1/2 C vegetable broth shopping list
- About 3/4 C crumbled gorgonzola or other blueveined cheese shopping list
- 3 Tbl. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper shopping list
- 2 packages (about 10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 6 large egg whites shopping list
- 1 1/2 C nonfat sour cream shopping list
- 1/4 C smooth unsweetened applesauce shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. sugar shopping list
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- In a blender or food processor, whirl bread to make coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1/2 C of the crumbs evenly over bottom of a greased 1 1/2-to 2 1/2-quart baking dish or deep 9-inch pie pan. Set dish and remaining crumbs aside.
- In a wide nonstick frying pan, combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 C water. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onion is soft (about 5 minutes); add water, 1 Tbl. at a time, if pan appears dry. Add broth and cheese; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, until cheese is melted. Sprinkle flour and white pepper over cheese mixture and stir until blended. Remove pan from heat and stir in spinach.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk egg, egg whites, 1/2 C of the sour cream, and applesauce until very well blended. Stir egg mixture into spinach mixture. Spoon into prepared dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until edge of pie is browned and center feels firm when lightly pressed (about 40 minutes). Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1 C sour cream, sugar, and nutmeg. Beat until smoothly blended. To serve, offer sour cream sauce to spoon over pie.