Manicotti With Chicken and SpinachFrom chihuahua 7 years ago
- 2 1/2 C marinara sauce shopping list
- 1/2 pound ground (minced) White chicken or turkey Meat shopping list
- 1/2 C finely chopped yellow onion shopping list
- 1 C cooked, drained and chopped spinach shopping list
- 1 1/2 C non-fat small curd cottage cheese shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or basil shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 8 manicotti Tubes shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large pot about three-fourths full of water to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, coat a non-stick frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and place over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken or turkey and onion and cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until the meat is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Scrape into a large bowl and let cool 10 minutes.
- Squeeze any excess liquid from spinach. Add to the chicken along with the cottage cheese, thyme or basil, egg, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, beat vigorously to blen.
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of an 8-by-12-inch baking dish or other similarly sized dish.
- Add the manicotti tubes to the boiling water, stir well and cook for 8 minutes; they should remain firm and slightly underdone. Drain them, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Using a small spoon, stuff each tube with about 1/3 cup of the filling.
- Arrange in a single layer in the baking dish and spoon the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until the sauce is bubbling a little around the edges of the dish and the filling is heated through, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and uncover the dish. Let stand for 5 minutes.