Arabic Semolina CakeFrom lor 6 years ago
- 3 cups semolina shopping list
- 3/4 cup unsweetened butter, melted shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 1 cup plain yogurt shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts to garnish shopping list
- For Syrup: shopping list
- 4 cups sugar shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced shopping list
How to make it
- Mix semolina, sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Using your hands to blend the butter with the other ingredients until well mixed.
- Mix yogurt and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Wait a few moments until the yogurt doubles in size.
- When the yogurt has almost doubled in volume, pour the yogurt mixture on top of the semolina mixture.
- Don't be afraid to use your hands to mix.
- After you have combined everything, gently press the batter down on a small jellyroll pan or a 9 x 13 pyrex baking dish.
- The cake should not be more than 1 inch in thickness.
- If it appears to be too thick, place batter on a larger pan or you can make 2 smaller cakes.
- Cut cake into diamond shapes with a sharp knife.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until it is lightly browned.
- Pour cold syrup on top when the cake is still hot so that it will absorb the syrup thoroughly.
- Sprinkle finely chopped pistashios on top of each square.
- Note: I like to sprinkle the pistashios over the top and then place a sliver of apricot on each diamond.
- For Syrup:
- Mix all the ingredients for the syrup and place in a saucepan on high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to medium for 45 - 55 minutes until it lightly coats the back of a metal spoon.