Mississippi Sweet Potato RollsFrom chefjeb 8 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato shopping list
- 1 cup potato water shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/3 cup dry milk shopping list
- 2 pks dry yeast shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter, melted shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- 5 1/2 cups flour shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and chunk unpeeled sweet potato and simmer until tender. Remove and peel immediately. Cool. Reserve potato water for later use. Mash potato meat.
- Add salt, nutmet, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add one cup reserved potato water and milk and puree.
- Add yeast to puree. It should be warm, about 100 degrees.
- Let yeast proof.
- Add melted butter and beaten egg.
- Add dry milk and about 5 cups flour.
- Knead until silver dollar pinch of dough stretches without breaking. Add additional flour if necessary to get right consistency. If using mixer, it should pull away cleanly from mixer bowl. Or if by hand, it should be elastic. Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and form into rolls. Size and shape is your choice. Place on greased backing sheet and let rise until almost doubled. Remember dough will rise again in oven. bake at 325 until lightly browned.
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating3 people
Good flavor. All came out to spec.
See Mississippi Sweet Potato Rolls for more detail.
Belated date: 1/25/14pointsevenout in Athens loved it
I took your recipe and made these rolls for a catering event. You're right, these are beautiful, gold and very light. Nobody could decide what gave them that color and i didn't tell. Wonderful recipe.chefkimmie in Jackson loved it