Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage Jewish StyleFrom merlin 6 years ago
- 1 cryo-packed corned beef brisket shopping list
- 5 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 cup cheap gin shopping list
- 1 T. crushed garlic shopping list
- 1 t. fennel seeds shopping list
- 2 T. sugar or Splenda shopping list
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and chopped shopping list
- 2 medium white onions, chopped shopping list
- 1-2 cups baby carrots, peeled shopping list
- creamed horseradish shopping list
How to make it
- 1) Carefully open the corned beef and put it in a medium sized pot with a lid with the bloody brine it comes packed in.
- 2) Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer.
- 3) Cook 1 ½ hours. Discard the cooking water and rinse the brisket in fresh water.
- 4) Add fresh water to the pot so that the corned beef is covered by about 6” of water.
- 5) Add:
- a. 5 bay leaves
- b. 1 cup cheap gin
- c. 1 heaping T. crushed garlic
- d. 1 t. fennel seeds
- e. 2 T. sugar or equivalent sweetener
- 6) Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered until the total simmering time equals an hour per lb.
- 7) Add:
- a. 1 green cabbage, cored and chopped
- b. 2 medium white onions, chopped
- c. 1-2 cups baby carrots
- 8) Check to make sure that there is enough water to cover the vegetables.
- 9) Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with corned beef with vegetables with creamed horseradish.
The Cookmerlin San Francisco, CA
The Rating2 people
Ir(ish), Jew(ish), Pol(ish), Engl(ish), Scott(ish), we are all related. We come from the nation of Ish. Nice twist on the Corned Beef and Cabbage. Thank you for the post.tilgidh in Blackshear loved it
This is a top notch recipe and I would fix it but I like Beef Eaters Gin so I would change that Hahaha
Deltadeltadarling in Metairie loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!