Crab And Corn ChowderFrom ddougee 6 years ago
- 16oz organic frozen corn ( its sweeter! ) shopping list
- 4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 8 cups whipping cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 10 bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 medium) shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped celery shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds shopping list
- 2 pounds red skinned potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter shopping list
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 2 pounds fresh crabmeat shopping list
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Combine corn, broth, and cream in heavy large saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare a roux. In skillet over low heat, melt butter. Gradually stir in flour until it becomes smooth paste. Cook, stirring constantly, until roux is light brown or almond color, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium. Gradually add roux to chowder base and whip constantly to work out lumps until roux melts and soup thickens. About 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons pan drippings; add onion, leeks, celery, garlic and fennel seeds to pot. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and bacon. Strain cream mixture into potato mixture. Simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in corn kernels. Simmer chowder until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in Sherry and thyme. Add mushroom mixture to chowder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sauté crabmeat in same large skillet over medium-low heat just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add crab and parsley to chowder mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!
The Cookddougee Chester, MD
The Rating3 people
love chowders - its like the best comfort food there is thanks for sharing your recipe!!ravenseyes in Belcamp loved it
love it! adding fennel seeds..very nice!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Corn and Crab in one dish.........you have my vote for chowder of the year. I love chowder.........Yummeers. Meowchefmeow in Garland loved it