Crab And Corn ChowderFrom ddougee 9 years ago
- 16oz organic frozen corn ( its sweeter! ) shopping list
- 4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 8 cups whipping cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 10 bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 medium) shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped celery shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds shopping list
- 2 pounds red skinned potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter shopping list
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 2 pounds fresh crabmeat shopping list
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Combine corn, broth, and cream in heavy large saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare a roux. In skillet over low heat, melt butter. Gradually stir in flour until it becomes smooth paste. Cook, stirring constantly, until roux is light brown or almond color, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Turn heat up to medium. Gradually add roux to chowder base and whip constantly to work out lumps until roux melts and soup thickens. About 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons pan drippings; add onion, leeks, celery, garlic and fennel seeds to pot. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and bacon. Strain cream mixture into potato mixture. Simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in corn kernels. Simmer chowder until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in Sherry and thyme. Add mushroom mixture to chowder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sauté crabmeat in same large skillet over medium-low heat just until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add crab and parsley to chowder mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy!
The Cookddougee Chester, MD
The Rating3 people
Corn and Crab in one dish.........you have my vote for chowder of the year. I love chowder.........Yummeers. Meowchefmeow in Garland loved it
love it! adding fennel seeds..very nice!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
love chowders - its like the best comfort food there is thanks for sharing your recipe!!ravenseyes in Belcamp loved it