Black Forest Cherry PieFrom thepiggs 6 years ago
- ⅔ cup sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- ¼ salt shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 2 slightly beaten eggs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted shopping list
- 1 8” baked pastry shell shopping list
- 1 16 oz. can (about 2 cups) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained and halved shopping list
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream shopping list
How to make it
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon salt; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir until bubbly; cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return to hot mixture and cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla.
- Stir ½ cup egg mixture into chocolate; spread in pastry shell. Cover surface of vanilla mixture with waxed paper; cool 30 minutes. Arrange cherry halves, cut side down, on chocolate, reserving 8 halves.
- Spread remaining vanilla mixture onto top of cherries.
- Whip cream; spoon or pipe whipped cream onto top of pie. Add cherry halves.
- Note: Recipe doesn’t call for sugar in whipped cream but I would add at least ½ teaspoon vanilla and 1-2 tablespoons sugar to the whipped cream before spooning onto top of pie.