Home-made Flour TortillasFrom tippystclair 9 years ago
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 Tbsp lard or shortening shopping list
- !/2 to 3/4 cup warm water (110F) shopping list
- oil (If you want tortilla chips) shopping list
- salt to taste (for chips) shopping list
- OR shopping list
- cinnamon and sugar (for a snack) shopping list
How to make it
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in the lard or shortening, using two knives or a pastry cutter, until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and stir until the dough can be gathered into a ball. Add more water a tablespoon at a time, if needed.
- Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 portions and shape into balls.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and roll each ball into a 7-inch round.
- Trim uneven edges to make a round tortilla (I like mine uneven!)
- To cook the tortillas for wraps, burrritos, etc., heat a non-stick skillet -no oil- until it is too hot to touch, but not burning. Lay the tortilla in the skillet and spin it around with a fork or wooden spoon until air bubbles appear in the dough, then flip it over and spin the other side. Do not over cook or the tortilla will be stiff and break when you bend it.
- For tortilla chips:
- Stack the tortillas and cut into 6 wedges.
- Fry in a deep skillet, in 1/2 inch of hot oil for 45 seconds until lightly browned and crisp.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste OR
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.