Grandmas Award-Winning Apple PieFrom aimee 6 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 2c. sifted flour shopping list
- 1 t. salt shopping list
- 1 t. cinnamon shopping list
- split 2/3 c. between unsalted butter and shortening shopping list
- 5-7 T. cold water shopping list
- ----------- shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 6-7 apples (Granny Smith for a classic pie, I usually add another variety as well.) shopping list
- 1/2 c. flour shopping list
- 1 c. sugar shopping list
- dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice shopping list
- 1/4 t. salt shopping list
- 2 T. butter, cut into smaller pats shopping list
How to make it
- Add the salt and cinnamon to the flour. Cut in the shortening/butter until the biggest clumps are about the size of peas. Add water slowly while kneading gently, until dough forms. Form dough into a ball, and let rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Peel and cut the apples. I usually use a peeler and a paring knife, but if I'm running short on time, I'll use one of those apple hand-crank machines, but I'll always do a couple by hand, to give it more interesting texture.
- Add the sugar, salt, and spices. Mix well.
- Mix in the flour, and let sit while you roll out the crust.
- Roll out the bottom crust, add the filling, top with pats of butter, cover with top crust, and cut some slits for venting.
- You can brush on an egg wash (just beat an egg and water) or just milk on top of the crust for a shinier, golden brown crust.
- Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. If the crust is getting too brown, slip some aluminum foil on top for the rest of the baking.
The Cookaimee Studio City, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!