Old Fashioned Corned Beef and CabbageFrom grizzlybear 5 years ago
- 1 corned beef brisket, about 4 lbs. shopping list
- 1 juice orange shopping list
- 18-20 whole cloves shopping list
- 1 tsp. whole yellow mustard seeds shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. whole coriander shopping list
- 3 lbs. small potatoes, peeled (I like to use Yukon Gold in this dish) shopping list
- 2 1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces shopping list
- 1 medium head cabbage shopping list
How to make it
- Place corned beef in large stockpot. Wash orange, with peel on, then roll around on counter, pressing down to release the juice inside. Push whole cloves into the orange, scattering them randomly. Cut orange in half, gently squeeze some of the orange juice onto the corned beef and place clove studded orange halves in the pot. Sprinkle spices over meat, then add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 3 hours. Drain.
- About 40 minutes before beef is finished, boil a large pot of water
- and cook potatoes and carrots. Add cabbage about 10 minutes before you're ready to serve as it doesn't need to cook long. Drain vegetables. Arrange meat and vegetables on a platter and serve with your favorite mustards.
- If your brisket came with a spice packet, you can use that instead of the mustard seeds, caraway seeds, peppercorns and coriander.