The Ultimate Ham And Cheese SandwichFrom jones2888 6 years ago
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard shopping list
- A few grates fresh nutmeg shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 8 slices white bread shopping list
- 12 to 16 slices deli ham shopping list
- 8 slices Swiss or gruyere cheese shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
How to make it
- Place a medium-size pot over medium heat and melt 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly whisk the milk and mustard into the butter-flour mixture. Season it with some fresh nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook for about until it thickens up.
- Place four slices of bread on the counter. Spread some of the sauce onto each slice of bread, then lay down some ham, a couple slices of cheese, another smear of sauce and top each sandwich with the remaining bread slices.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. In a high-sided dish, whisk up the eggs. Dip the sandwiches in the egg and transfer them to the hot pan. Cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes per side.