Country Corn BreadFrom bluewaterandsand 5 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven on 475F.
- Put shortening in iron skillet and melt, set aside.
- Stir cornmeal and flour together.
- Add mayo and buttermilk, and 1 tablespoon of melted shortening, stirring well.
- Pour into the hot greased skillet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned.
- (Sometimes I use the grease from fatback and lay fried fatback in pan, it looks so pretty, on top of corn bread when you dump it out on a plate.)
The Cookbluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
The Rating2 people
A classic cornbread and I always use cast iron to make it. Great post - thanks!!lunasea in Orlando loved it
I've never put mayo in cornbread, I'll have to try this out. Also love the idea of fatback in the pan. And you are so right, a cast iron skillet is the only way to go for this!waterlily in Joplin loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!