Homemade Protein BarsFrom deliathecrone 9 years ago
- Nonstick spray shopping list
- 1 cup soy protein powder shopping list
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups rolled oats shopping list
- 1/2 cup oat bran shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup (packed) brown sugar shopping list
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt shopping list
- 1/4 cup canola oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350'F (325'F for a glass pan). Lightly spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan AND a baking tray with nonstick spray.
- Mix together the protein powder, flour, oats, oat bran, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Crumble in the brown sugar, rubbing it with your fingers to break up any clumps. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Measure the yogurt, oil, and vanilla into a second bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix patiently, until thoroughly
- blended. (You may have to use your hands--it will be a thick batter, verging on a dough.)
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, patting it evenly into place with your hands.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and cut into bars of any size or shape.
- Place the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for another 15 minutes, or until golden around the edges. (For extra-crunchy bars, turn off the oven and leave them in there for up to 45 minutes longer.)
- Remove the bars from the oven, and place them on a rack to cool.
- Eat the bars within a few hours, or seal them in a heavy zip-style plastic bag and store in the freezer.
- For maximum crispness, "refresh" them in a toaster oven after defrosting.
- VARIATIONS: Protein Boosters
- You can make the main recipe with any combination of the following adjustments:
- Replace the canola oil with 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter (softened in a microwave).
- Replace the flour with quinoa, ground to a powder in a blender or an electric spice grinder.
- Replace the yogurt with mashed silken tofu (soft or firm.) Add an extra pinch of salt.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- Add up to 1 cup chopped nuts and/or sunflower seeds.
The Cookdeliathecrone Johnston, SC
- Not added to any groups yet!