Shredded BeefFrom crabhappychick 7 years ago
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 4 pounds round roast, trimmed (or sirloin tip) shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup applejack shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock, canned shopping list
- 3 cups burgundy shopping list
- Softly Simmered onions (see recipe) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat butter & oil in dutch oven over medium high heat. Liberally rub roast all over with salt & pepper. Brown beef on all sides.
- Pour applejack into pan and flame it with a long fireplace-type lighter. IT WILL FLAME HIGH SO KEEP AS FAR BACK AS POSSIBLE AND BE SURE YOUR HAIR IS OUT OF THE WAY!!
- Once the flame dies down, pour in the stock and the wine. Cover pan and simmer slowly over low heat for about 4 hours.
- Remove from heat, cool to room temperature and with two forks, shred beef into small pieces, following the grain of the meat. It should fall apart.
- Return beef to the liquid in the pan and heat.
- Serve on good crusty rolls with the simmered onions that go with this. They are PERFECT with the beef!
- This freezes beautifully...and the onions, too. Good to make ahead for parties.