Quick Indian Fry BreadFrom bjvannetter 6 years ago
How to make it
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt together
- Add milk (put vanilla in milk first if using as a snack or dessert)
- Mix completely as you would if making bread, Kneading the dough well
- Pinch off a piece about the size of a golf ball or bigger
- You can either work this piece of dough like you would making a home-made tortilla or roll it out like you would a pie crust. The thinner you get it, the better. Be sure to flour the countertop and rolling pin if using this method
- Drop into heated oil and fry like a pancake. It is done when it is golden brown and the middle is cooked through *(Just like a pancake)
- Top with honey and powdered sugar or cut strawberries mixed with a little bit of suger and whipped topping. It is totally awesome this way. I like the honey topping best.
- You can top it with refried beans, cooked ground beef, cheese, tomato, onions, or what ever you would put on a taco. Also great with scrambled eggs and cheese on top.
- It can be eaten by itself or add your own ideas.
- If you are in a hurry (like I get sometimes when I make them) just add a little more milk or water so it has the same consistency of pancake batter and pour small amouts into hot oil. You may have to press them down a bit when you turn them over, but cook like you are cooking pancakes. These will look "prettier" and more uniform in shape, but I like the first version better. Both work out well.