Crab Meat Au GratinFrom vino4dino 6 years ago
- 1 pound white crabmeat shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (your choice cheddar or American) shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions or scallions shopping list
- 1 small pinch ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery shopping list
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs shopping list
- 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- dash of white pepper shopping list
- 1 - 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra cheese shopping list
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten shopping list
- dash of cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- Dash of paprika shopping list
How to make it
- In a heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, melt butter, add onions and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and transparent but not brown. Stir in the flour, blend well. Add milk, stir constantly until smooth. Add pepper, nutmeg, mustard, and cheese.
- Take pot away from heat. Beat egg yolk and add lemon juice. Then add crabmeat - mix well.
- Butter baking pan or individual baking dishes. Pour mixture, over all.
- Combine cheese and bread crumbs, sprinkle over top of mixture, then add a dash of paprika. Bake 15 or 20 miinutes until top is au gratin, brown and crusty.