Apricot and Walnut LoafFrom elisabizter 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups dried apricots shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 2 cups self-rising flour shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 2/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest shopping list
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/3 cup orange juice shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Butter a 4 1/2 x 9-inch loaf pan and line with parchment or waxed (greaseproof) paper.
- Place the dried apricots and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until the apricots are tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid. Cool the apricots and roughly chop.
- Sift the flour and baking soda together into a bowl. Add the sugar, orange zest, walnuts, and apricots.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the orange juice, egg, melted butter, and reserved apricot liquid. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.