Mussel Soup Zuppa di CozzeFrom zereh 8 years ago
- 2 pounds mussels shopping list
- 1 onion shopping list
- 8 garlic cloves shopping list
- ¼ cup dry white wine shopping list
- 4 large ripe tomatoes shopping list
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley shopping list
- 6 basil leaves shopping list
- pinch crushed red chili pepper shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil as needed shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- sea salt shopping list
- bread for bruschette shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and scrub the mussels, removing the beards and any material attached to the shells.
- Slice and dice the onion into small pieces. Slice the tomatoes in half, gently squeeze the seeds from them, and then coarsely chop.
- Place a large pot on the range over moderately high heat, add ¼ cup of olive oil, the diced onions, at least 4 garlic cloves, and let cook for several minutes until the ingredients begin to wilt. Add the wine, tomatoes, ground black pepper and, if desired, add the chili pepper, then the mussels. Cover the pot and steam for about 15 minutes, stirring the bottom shells from time to time to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- When the mussels have finished cooking, stir in the chopped parsley, place the mussel soup in individual bowls and place two slices of bruschette on each bowl, and serve.
- <Bruschette> To make the bruschette, diagonally slice about 12 pieces of bread, preferably from a baguette or long Italian loaf, and toast. Slice a garlic clove in half, rub each slice of toast with the garlic, then drizzle some olive oil on each slice. This will use up about 4 large cloves.