Tender Roast BeefFrom omrebel 9 years ago
- 1 3 ½ pound chuck roast shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- 4 oz pancetta, cut in ¼ inch cubes (can substitute bacon) shopping list
- 2 medium onions, chopped medium shopping list
- 2 carrots, chopped medium shopping list
- 2 celery ribs, chopped medium shopping list
- 1 T tomato paste shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- ½ t sugar shopping list
- 1 T flour shopping list
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup shopping list
- 3 1/2 cans water shopping list
- 1 can rotel tomatos shopping list
- thyme (to taste) shopping list
- rosemary (to taste) shopping list
- parsley (to taste) shopping list
How to make it
- Pull roast apart at it’s major seam into two halves. Use knife if necessary.
- Remove large knobs of fat from each piece, leaving a thin layer of fat on the meat.
- Tie meat back together using kitchen twine.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 300 degrees.
- Thoroughly pat beef dry with paper towels and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Place pancetta in heavy dutch oven and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy (about 8 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
- Pour off all but 2 T fat. Heat over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke.
- Add beef to pot and cook until well browned on each side (about 2 minutes per side).
- Transfer beef to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions, carrots, celery, and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften and brown (about 6 minutes).
- Add garlic, sugar, flour and reserved pancetta.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until combined and fragrant.
- Add soup, water and rotel, scraping bottom of pan to removed browned bits.
- Add spices and return roast to pot.
- Increase heat to high and bring liquid to a complete boil.
- Place a large sheet of foil over top of the pot and cover tightly with lid.
- Set pot in the oven and cook, using tongs to turn beef every 45 minutes for about 3 hours.
- Transfer beef to plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Allow liquid to sit for 5 minutes and then skim fat off surface.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, whisking constantly to break vegetables down.
- Cook until mixture has thickened (about 20 minutes).
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer.
- Discard solids.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sliced meat and mashed potatoes
The Cookomrebel Memphis, TN
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!