Tub of Popcorn CakeFrom hayleesgrandma 8 years ago
- 3 boxes (16 oz each) poundcake mix shopping list
- 2 1/4 cups water shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 3 tubs (16 oz each) white frosting shopping list
- 1 can each red and white decorating icing with star and writing tips (we used Betty Crocker Easy Flow) shopping list
- 3 cups freshly popped popcorn shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat oven to 350ºF. You'll need two 8 x 3-in. springform pans coated with nonstick spray, bottoms lined with wax paper and sprayed. You'll also need a sturdy round (or square) serving surface about 10 in. in diam.
- 2. Prepare cake mixes as directed, using water and eggs. Divide batter between pans. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until pick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pans. Peel off paper and cool completely.
- 3. With a long serrated knife, trim top of one cake horizontally to make it level. Place on serving plate. Spread top with thin layer of frosting; top with remaining cake. Reserve 1/4 cup frosting (wrap airtight and refrigerate if making cake ahead). Spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- 4. Fit red icing with writing tip. Pipe the word POPCORN onto side of cake. Pipe arched lines above and below. Add vertical lines around sides of cake. Fit white icing with star tip. Pipe shell border around bottom and top edges.
- 5. Arrange popcorn on top of cake, using dabs of reserved frosting as necessary to attach.
- Cake is 8 in. diam x 9 in. high.
- Plan Ahead: You can bake cakes up to 3 days ahead, wrap airtight and refrigerate. Frost and decorate up to 1 day ahead. Add popcorn no more than 2 to 3 hours before serving.