Chocolate Tres Leches CakeFrom amazon819 6 years ago
- 4 ½ ounces cake flour shopping list
- 2 ¼ ounces cocoa powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature shopping list
- 8 ounces sugar shopping list
- 5 whole eggs shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk shopping list
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk shopping list
- 1 cup half-and-half shopping list
- 6 ounces (175 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water shopping list
How to make it
- For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour a 13 by 9-inch metal pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Decrease the speed to low and, with the mixer still running; gradually add the sugar over 1 minute. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl, if necessary. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix to thoroughly combine. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches and mix just until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. This will appear to be a very small amount of batter. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.
- Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow it to cool for 30 minutes. Poke the top of the cake all over with a skewer or fork. Allow the cake to cool completely and then prepare the glaze.
- For the glaze:
- Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and the half-and-half in a 1-quart measuring cup. Once combined, pour the glaze over the cake. Refrigerate the cake overnight.
- In a medium-sized stainless steel bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Set aside but keep the bowl over the warm water so the chocolate will stay slightly warm.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.
- Place the egg yolks in a large heatproof bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar dissolves, a minute or two. This produces a sugar syrup. Then, whisking constantly, pour the boiling syrup over the egg yolks. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk constantly (can use a hand mixer on low speed) until the mixture is thick and light in color. This mixture should be hot to the touch. (About 10 minutes)
- Remove the bowl from the heat and, working quickly, scrape the egg mixture into a clean large bowl of your electric mixer. On medium speed (or with a hand mixer) beat until the volume has doubled and the bottom of the bowl is completely cool to the touch. Turn speed to low, and beat in the warm melted chocolate until well combined. Fold in half the reserved whipped cream and then fold in the remaining cream. The mixture should resemble softly whipped cream. This can be used immediately or refrigerated, covered, until needed. If the mixture seems a little runny, the chocolate may have been too warm, but after refrigerating for an hour or so, it will firm up. Can be made and refrigerate a day ahead of time.
- Makes about 3 cups.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookamazon819 Clarksville, IN
The Rating4 people
If you make this, don't forget to add the cocoa powder to your cake batter. It wasn't specifically mentioned in the recipe instructions and I almost missed putting it in. Otherwise, the recipe went off without a hitch. It's a little more work than...morecurious in Commerce loved it
looks like a wonderful-5midgelet in Eastern loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!