Mexican Style Pasta BakeFrom craftyazgirl 5 years ago
- 12 ounces dried bow tie pasta (about 5 cups) shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro, crushed shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 6 ounces colby cheese, cubed shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (6 oz.) shopping list
- 1 cup bottled salsa shopping list
- 2/3 cup halved pitted green and/or ripe olives shopping list
- chili powder shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Butter six 12- to 16-ounce individual casserole dishes (or one 3-quart baking dish); set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pan.
- In a large saucepan cook onion and sweet pepper in butter over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, salt, cilantro, and cumin. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in colby cheese and 1 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Pour over drained pasta; stir to combine.
- Layer half of the pasta mixture, all of the salsa, and the remaining pasta mixture in the prepared casseroles. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and olives. Sprinkle lightly with chili powder.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly around edges and heated through.
- If using large casserole, bake in a 400 degree F oven about 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving