Apple Pie BarsFrom auntybea 8 years ago
- 4 cups flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1 cup shortening shopping list
- 4 egg yolks shopping list
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice shopping list
- 8 to 10 tbsp. cold water shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 7 cups finely chopped peeled apples shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon shopping list
- Dash ground nutmeg shopping list
- Glaze: shopping list
- 1 cup confections' sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp. milk shopping list
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out one portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17 x 12 in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 in. baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with top edge.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread over crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan; place over filling. Trim edges; brush edges between pastry with water or milk; pinch to seal. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375 for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over the bars before cutting.
The Cookauntybea Vernon, Canada
The Rating5 people
sounds delicious, thanksmagali777 in Mexico loved it
I love these. They are so very good.bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
These sound delicious...going to try them for our next bake sale. High 5!bobbijo in Wayland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!