Indian Jeera RiceFrom sweetooth 8 years ago
- basmati rice - 1 cup shopping list
- cumin seeds (Jeera) - 2 teaspoons shopping list
- cumin powder - 1 teaspoon shopping list
- garlic - 2 large pods - finely chopped shopping list
- Slit green chillies - 2 (optional) shopping list
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons shopping list
- butter - 2 tablespoons shopping list
- salt and coarse pepper to season shopping list
- Cashewnuts - a handful, broken into pieces shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the basmati rice in warm water for about 10 minutes. Drain and cook in boiling water along with a pinch of salt and 1/2 tablespoon of the butter, until just done. Drain in a colander and fluff up with a fork.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a wok and add the cumin seeds, cashewnuts and the chopped garlic and saute over medium heat until the cumin splutters and the cashews turn golden brown.
- If using green chillies, add in at this stage and allow to brown through.
- Reduce the flame and add the cumin powder and stir for a minute.
- Then add in the cooked rice, remaining butter, salt and pepper and stir-fry on high until all the ingredients are well mixed with the rice.
- Serve piping hot with curried meat/veggie of your choice or as a meal by itself with cucumber raita.