Competition Style Pork Butt For SmokerFrom redkitchen 8 years ago
- 1 pork butt, bone in 6-9 pounds shopping list
- 1 cup of your favorite commercial or homemade dry BBQ rub shopping list
- apple and Hickory wood chips shopping list
- Optional: Injection mixture (recipe follows): shopping list
- 2 cups apple juice or cider shopping list
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1/2 cup corn syrup shopping list
- 1 tsp. of the rub you use on the butt. shopping list
- Mix all ingredients together and heat over a low burner until the shopping list
- mixture is dissolved. Place in refrig to cool. Do NOT use hot liquid shopping list
- to inject in butt....(VERY painful) shopping list
How to make it
- Trim your butt of any excess fat. (I'm NOT talking aerobics classes)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and apply the mixture to both sides of the meat. Allow to stand at room temp for 30 minutes before grilling
- Cover the butt evenly with the rub, work the rub until your butt looks a bit moist (no details PLEASE). Wrap the butt with cellophane and place back in the refrig for 4 hours
- Load the charcoal and wood chips in the smoker and get to approx. 230*. Place your butt on the cooking grid in the smoker (you can put a dish under the ham to catch dripping). You want to cook this with indirect heat, no flames allowed.
- Cook your butt on low and slow. Preferably for at least 18 hours. When your butt reaches the desired inner temp. 200*, pull off grill and double wrap in foil. Let butt rest for 30 minutes. The meat is so tender you can hand pull it off the bones....not to mention the wonderful cooked in flavor.
The Cookredkitchen Murfreesboro, TN
The Rating6 people
I bet that would be painful but worth it!! Looks great to me; bookmarking as I type! 5m2googee in Tomball loved it
Hey I'm a butt girl and this sounds teriffic!
High five from me!raelene1951 in Brighton loved it
Just ordered a smoker. This sounds great !! Thankssharyl4 in Mohave Valley loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!