Steamed Mussels With Shaved Fennel In Saffron-and-white-wine BrothFrom mystic_river1 6 years ago
- 24 good-sized fresh mussels, still closed shopping list
- 2 tbl vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped shallot shopping list
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- Pinch of saffron (or turmeric) shopping list
- 1/2 bulb fennel, white part only, extremely finely shaved shopping list
- 1/2 tbl finely diced red and yellow bell peppers shopping list
- 1 tsp fresh herbs, such as basil, oregano or thyme, finely chopped (opt) shopping list
- 1/4 cup white wine shopping list
- 2 tbl unsalted butter shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Clean mussels and remove all traces of beard. Set aside. In a 4-quart saucepan, add oil and briefly saute shallot, crushed red pepper, saffron, fennel, bell peppers and herbs. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add mussels. Cover and simmer 4 to 8 minutes, until all mussels are opened. (If a mussel does not open, discard it immediately.) Remove pan from heat and using a slotted spoon
- (to leave liquid in the pan), divide mussels into 2 large, shallow bowls. Swirl butter into liquid in pan and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the mussels. Serve with good bread to sop up juices.
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating5 people
I love how informative you are about the Saffron.
Most of all I love the resulting flavor of this terrific dish. I enjoy de-bearding muscles so leave that part to me.
Delicious broth too,I will bring the bread
Michaeltrigger in loved it
How wonderful! This is one classy and delicious dish, Joymarie. I know that broth would taste heavenly...ahhh. Thanks so much....a big 5! ~Lunalunasea in Orlando loved it
Great one JM... ty
davewolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!