Real BorschtFrom albys1 7 years ago
- Large pot of boiling water ¾ full shopping list
- 1 pound beef bones shopping list
- 3-4 beets shopping list
- 6 carrots shopping list
- 1 onion shopping list
- 1 small cabbage shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper shopping list
- 2-3 large soft peeled tomatoes ( can substitute with canned) shopping list
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic shopping list
- cilantro/parsley/ dill shopping list
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice shopping list
- Small amount of white vinegar shopping list
- salt and black pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- Boil beef bones and then wash them and put in the pot of water.
- Add beets and cook until soft and then cool and peel.
- Add ½ the carrots to the boiling water.
- Shred ½ of the head of cabbage and add to pot along with the green pepper chopped.
- Grate the rest of the carrots along with the beets or just cut up into small pieces and put in pot.
- Add remainder of ingredients and let cook for about 20 minutes on a low flame.
- You can add potato, broccoli, cauliflower or kidney beans as well as zucchini in order to enhance the flavors.
- Borscht must really sit for a day in order to really get to its peak flavor.
The Cookalbys1 Broomall, Pennsylvania
The Rating7 people
Yes, that sounds good -- but rather than saying large pot of water, I would suggest, more specifically, water to cover the beef bones. We also add dill to our Borsht but no zucchini, broccoli or cauliflower, just beets and cabbage. And we serve it ...moreauntybea in Vernon loved it
another great post thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
This is a good version of borscht. I am originally from Russia, and that's about how I make it, except I add chopped potatoes and actual beef meat, rather than bones. I am pleasantly surprised to see people in other countries enjoying this soup!juels in Clayton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!