Stewed ChickenFrom blueeyes68ky 5 years ago
- 1 5- to 6-pounds ready-to-cook stewing chicken, cut up, or 2 large broiler-fryer chickens, cut up shopping list
- 2 sprigs parsley shopping list
- 4 celery branches with leaves shopping list
- 1 carrot, pared and sliced shopping list
- 1 small onion, cut up shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place chicken pieces in Dutch oven or large kettle with enough water to cover (about 2 quarts).
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover; bring to bioling and cook over low heat about 2 1/2 hours, or till tender.
- Leave chicken on bones in liquid for Chicken with Dumplings. Or, remove meat from bones. This will yield about 5 cups diced cooked chicken for salads or casseroles.
- Chicken With Dumplings
- Stewed Chicken
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour (do not use self rising your dumplings will fall apart)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- Chicken gravy
- Prepare stewed chicken, above. When chicken is almost tender, sift tohether flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine milk and oil; add to dry ingredients; stir just to moisten. Drop from tablespoon directly onto chicken in boiling stock. (Do not let batter drop in liquid.) Cover tightly; return to boiling. Reduce heat (don't lift cover): simmer 12 to 15 minutes, or till done. Remove dumplings and chicken to hot platter; keep hot while preparing Chicken Gravy. Makes 10 dumplings.
- To prepare Chicken Gravy: Strain broth from stewed Chicken. Measure 1 quart into medium saucepan. Heat to boiling. Combine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup cold water; gradually add to broth, mixing well. Cook, stirring constantly, till mixture is thick and bubbly. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Pour over chicken and dumplings. Garnish with parsley. Makes 6 to 8 servings.