Pulled Pork With Mint Julep Barbecue Sauce For 4th Of July PicnicFrom minitindel 8 years ago
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder, 5 lb. shopping list
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds shopping list
- 1 cup apple cider shopping list
- 1 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 4 yellow onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper (capsicum), seeded and finely chopped shopping list
- 12 sesame seed-topped sandwich buns, split and warmed shopping list
- 12 dill pickle spears shopping list
How to make it
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cups tomato purée
- 3/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup coarse-grain Dijon mustard
- ½ cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot-pepper sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Lightly coat a large baking pan with vegetable oil. Rub the pork shoulder with the pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and mustard seeds and place in the baking pan.
- Pour the cider and vinegar over and around the pork. Scatter the onions, garlic, and bell pepper over and around the pork.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 3 hours.
- Uncover and continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the pork registers 180 degrees F about 1 hour.
- While the pork is roasting, make the sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and ginger and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato purée, molasses, mustard, bourbon, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until very thick, about 2 hours.
- Discard the lemon slices. Stir in the mint and Tabasco.
- Remove the pork from the oven and transfer to a plate.
- Let stand for 1 hour
- . Reserve the roasted vegetables.
- Using 2 forks, shred the pork by shred the pork by steadying the meat with 1 fork and pulling it away with the other, discarding any fat. Place the shredded pork in a bowl. With a slotted spoon, transfer the roasted vegetables to the bowl with the pork.
- Mix the sauce with the shredded pork. Stuff each bun with some of the pork and serve immediately with the pickle spears on the side.
- Makes 12 sandwiches
The Cookminitindel THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY, CA
The Rating4 people
OMG. You are planning my July 4th party for me....thank you, thank you. Another fantastic post that sounds irresistible. Great post Mini...You have my 5. Yummers.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Slow cooked is what makes this a prize winner Sherry.
You have my 5 fork after I am through using it.
Michaeltrigger in loved it
This recipe works for me ..........love the ingredients for your sauce. Thankspudgy47 in Las Vegas loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!