Wilted Romaine Or CabbageFrom krumkake 5 years ago
- Depending on the size of the head, about 1 to 1½ heads of romaine lettuce, chopped (I’m guessing I had about 6 heaping cupfuls of romaine in my bowl?) OR ½ head of cabbage, shredded shopping list
- ½ sweet onion, diced (my mom always used green onions and used most of the green tops as well, but a sweet onion works fine, too) shopping list
- 6 slices bacon, diced and fried until crispy (when cooked, remove bacon from pan to drain on paper toweling, but leave the bacon grease in the pan) shopping list
- ¼ cup white sugar shopping list
- ¼ cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons water shopping list
- salt and pepper to your taste (I use about ¼ teaspoon salt and several shakes of pepper) shopping list
How to make it
- Have the romaine and onion chopped and ready in a large bowl.
- Fry the bacon and remove it from the pan, allowing it to drain on paper toweling.
- Add sugar, vinegar and water to the bacon grease in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste (you want to keep it sweet, with just a hint of saltiness)
- Stir and cook over medium-high heat, bringing it to a quick boil and allowing the sugar to dissolve.
- Throw cooked bacon on top of the chopped romaine.
- Pour the hot vinegar dressing over the romaine and bacon.
- Toss quickly to coat the romaine and mix in the bacon.
- Serve immediately.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating6 people
This looks so good. I am going to enjoy all of these great healthy salads of yours..thank you!michellem in Idaho loved it
Great salad krum... I sure need to be eatting more of these...cant wait for the fresh tomatoes to get here.. a couple more weeks now... already getting fresh squash and cucumbers...zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
We have lettuce in our garden. I am surprise that it is lasting this long because it has been around 98 degrees this past week.I did lettuce and green onions with fatback grease last week. This salad sounds delicious! And it is on my menu for the end...morebluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it