Gluten-free Fried EggplantFrom sola 8 years ago
- 1 med. eggplant (about 2lbs) shopping list
- 1/2 cup cornmeal shopping list
- 1/2 cup extra fine cornmeal shopping list
- 1/2 cup garfava flour*-or chickpea flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup potato starch shopping list
- 1/4 cup rice flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup parmasean cheese shopping list
- 1/2 tsp.garlic powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp.salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp.pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. or more to taste cayenne shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
How to make it
- Peel eggplant,slice lengthwise into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness,then cut in half crosswise.In a large shallow bowl place eggplant slices in heavily salted water,3-4 inches of water above eggplant.Set aside for 30 minutes.This will keep eggplant from turning brown and absorbing all the oil.(about 4-6 tablespoons salt for water)
- In a shallow dish mix dry ingredients.In a medium bowl beat eggs and add buttermilk.Set aside.
- In a large skillet melt shortening over medium-high heat.Reduce heat to medium when melted.
- Rinse and drain eggplant well,pat dry with paper towels.Dip slices in egg mixture,then coat them in the shallow dish with flour mix.You can dip and coat all at once and place on a large plate.
- Turn oven on warm setting.
- Fry a few slices at a time until golden brown,turning once.Place cooked pieces on a baking sheet and keep in warm oven as you continue to fry remaining eggplant slices.
- Serve with favorite sauce,use for eggplant parm or enjoy just as they are.
- *fava bean/chickpea flour mix