Easy Key Lime PieFrom jencathen 5 years ago
- Crust shopping list
- 16 graham crackers, crushed shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 stick (1/4 lb) margarine or butter shopping list
- Pie shopping list
- 4 large or extra large egg yolks shopping list
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 key limes) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only shopping list
- whipping cream For Garnish (Optional) shopping list
- 1/2 cup whipping cream shopping list
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Pie Shell:
- Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9" pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 10 - 12 minutes until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.
- Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow, don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk.
- Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds).
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350 F for 12 minutes to set the yolks and kill any salmonella in the eggs.
- If you are using the whipping cream garnish, prepare the cream. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookjencathen TX
The Rating9 people
im a sucker for key lime anything love it thanksminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it
OH YUM!jett2whit in Union City loved it
I'm not sure key limes are always available where I live? Is there a season for them? Can the juice be frozen, let's say if I do come across them, and use the thawed juice later?
Sorry about all the questions....greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it