Decadent Macaroni And CheeseFrom deigirl 7 years ago
- 6 slices (about 6 ounces) good quality white sandwich bread, torn into rough pieces 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 pound elbow macaroni shopping list
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons powdered mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional) shopping list
- 5 cups milk (see note) shopping list
- 8 ounces Monterey lack cheese, shredded (2 cups) shopping list
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups) shopping list
How to make it
- It's crucial to cook the pasta until tender that is, just past the al dente stage. Whole, low fat, and skim milk all work well in this recipe. The recipe may be halved and baked in an 8 inch square, broiler safe baking dish. If desired, offer celery salt or hot sauce (such as Tabasco) for sprinkling at the table.
- 1. FOR THE BREAD CRUMBS: Pulse the bread and butter in a food processor until the crumbs are no larger than 1/8 inch, ten to fifteen 1 second pulses. Set aside.
- 2. FOR THE PASTA AND CHEESE: Adjust an oven rack to the lower middle position and heat the broiler. Bring 4 quarts water to a rolling boil in a stockpot. Add 1 tablespoon of the salt and the macaroni and stir to separate the noodles. Cook until tender, drain, and set aside.
- 3. In the now empty stockpot, heat the butter over medium high heat until foaming. Add the flour, mustard, cayenne (if using), and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute. Whisking constantly, gradually add the milk; bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly (the mixture must reach a full boil to fully thicken), then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in the cheeses until fully melted. Add the pasta and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.
- 4. Transfer the mixture to a broiler safe 13 by 9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with the bread crumbs. Broil until deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool 5 minutes, then serve.
The Cookdeigirl Paulden, AZ
- Not added to any groups yet!