Senate Navy Bean SoupFrom jemison 8 years ago
- 1 lb dried navy beans (2 1/3 c) shopping list
- water shopping list
- 2 T butter or margarine shopping list
- 2/3 c celery, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 c onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 1 smoked ham-hock (1/2 lb) shopping list
- 1 1/2 t salt shopping list
- 1/4 t peppper shopping list
How to make it
- Pick and wash beans.
- Soak overnight.
- Use a large Dutch oven to melt butter over midium heat.
- Add celery, onion, and garlic; saute until tender.
- Drain beans; reserve liquid.
- Add enough water to liquid to make 10 cups.
- Add beans, soaking liquid, ham-hock, salt and pepper to vegetables.
- Heat to boiling; reduce to low.
- Cover and simmer 3 hours.
- Remove meat from ham-hock and return to soup; discard skin and bone.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cookjemison Huntersville, NC
The Rating8 people
Delicious recipe, thanks!debbie919 in Manahawkin loved it
Love bean soups....Sounds great..:)wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
I have eaten this at the Senate....There was a law passed (along time ago) that the bean soup be served everyday!!!raelene1951 in Brighton loved it